Chunky Pea & Ham Soup - Recipes with Rich
There's nothing like a tasty chunky pea and ham soup to warm your bones of a winter's evening.
- 300g split peas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 2 sticks celery - chopped
- 1 brown onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - crushed / chopped
- 800g ham or bacon hocks
- 2 litres water
- Salt & pepper
- Crusty bread rolls
- Rinse the split peas under cold running water until the water runs clear, then drain.
- Heat the oil in your soup saucepan adding the onion, garlic, carrot & celery to cook whilst stirring on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
- Add the split peas, hocks and water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a medium-low simmer. Cover for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until the hocks are tender and the meat is falling away from the bones. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Take the hocks from the pan and remove the meat from the bones. Coarsely chop the meat and return to the saucepan. *Make sure you get rid of all the bones and remove the skin.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you feel like crusty bread, place the bread rolls on a baking tray and add to a preheated oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with crusty bread rolls.
- Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!